Toaster pastries; they might have been your favorite breakfast as a kid; but did you know that you can still enjoy this classic for breakfast (or any time of day) by making them gluten-free and a little healthier with whole grain rice and teff flour?
The pastry for these is flaky and sweet, and the raspberry filling pairs with the teff flour wonderfully. Almond butter-based icing takes the place of its powdered sugar-filled counterpart to top off this more nutritious take on toaster pastries. Delicious!
Raspberry Toaster Pastries
- 1/3 cup Anthony's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (solid, not melted)
- 1/2 cup Anthony's Teff Flour
- 1/2 cup Anthony's Brown Rice Flour, plus 1/3 to 1/2 cup for kneading dough
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon Anthony's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Anthony's Coconut Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, cut together the coconut oil, teff flour, rice flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix in the egg and maple syrup.
- Knead an extra 1/3 to 1/2 cup rice flour into the dough until it comes together.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a 12" by 8" rectangle; cut into 8 3"x4" rectangles. Brush with egg white.
- Place 1 tablespoon jam on each of four of the rectangles; top with remaining rectangles.
- Crimp edges with fork and brush with additional egg white. Cut a couple slits in the top of each pastry.
- Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together icing ingredients and spread on cooled pastries.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 large pastries