Vital Wheat Gluten is made from wheat flour that has been hydrated to activate the gluten, and then processed to remove everything but that gluten. That gluten is then dried and grounded back into a powder.
When mixed with with water and spiced, our Vital Wheat Gluten will make seitan.
If you're not familiar with seitan, its a vegan "meat" made from wheat gluten.
Seitan is high in protein and chewy, resembling real meat in many ways.
Basic Seitan (Wheat Meat Substitute)
- 1 cup Anthony’s Vital Wheat Gluten
- ¼ cup Anthony’s Chickpea Flour
- 2 T Anthony's Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups broth
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 T hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- Add the vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour, and nutritional yeast to a bowl.
- Add the water and stir to form a dough.
- Once the dough is formed, knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Move the dough to the side and allow it to rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan add the broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and mustard.
- Bring the broth to a light simmer.
- Next, cut the dough into pieces and place them into the simmering broth.
- Simmer the seitan for an hour.
- You can use the seitan as a meat substitute for any dish you wish to make.
Yields: 8 pieces
Vegan, Dairy Free