Need a change from your regular soy-based tofu? Switch it up with this chickpea flour version that pairs perfectly with a spicy, gingery dipping sauce.
Simply simmer, set in the fridge and sear on the pan until gold and crispy. Sprinkle all over with roasted sesame seeds and enjoy as a healthy appetizer or side dish.
Chickpea Flour Tofu
Ingredients for the tofu:
- 1 cup Anthony’s Goods Chickpea Flour
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups water, divided
- Olive oil for greasing baking dish and pan
Ingredients for the spicy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp honey
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Oil an 8x8 baking dish and set aside.
- Whisk the chickpea flour, salt, turmeric and 1 cup water in a saucepan and let rest for 15 minutes. Whisk occasionally to break up lumps.
- When the 15 minutes are up, whisk in 2 additional cups of water. Heat the pan and bring to a simmer. Whisk to keep the mixture smooth and let simmer on low heat for 8 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and smooth it over. Place in the fridge to set (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare the spicy sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the tofu is set, cut it into 15 small rectangles and saute in an oiled pan on medium-high heat. Turn each piece until browned on all sides.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve with spicy sauce.
Serves: 2 people
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes