Ready to go coconuts? These chocolate coconut macaroons are soft, chewy and just the right amount of sweet. With almond extract adding an extra layer of flavor and an actual almond as the cherry on top...what not to love? Bake to golden-brown perfection, dunk and drizzle with dark chocolate, and savor every coconutty bite.
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 4 ¾ cups Anthony’s Goods Shredded Coconut
- ½ cup Anthony’s Goods Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Melted dark chocolate and almonds, for decorating
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract with a hand mixer. Beat until the mixture is foamy and the sugar is well incorporated, not grainy. Fold in the coconut and mix well. Let the mixture hydrate for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchments.
- Using a measuring spoon, scoop out the mixture a tablespoon at a time. Pack the mixture into the spoon and knock it a few times onto the baking tray to release it. Repeat, placing the macaroons 2 inches apart.
- Baking for 20 minutes, until the macaroons have browned slightly at the top and bottom.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Melt the dark chocolate and lower each macaroon in with a fork to coat their bottoms, then return to the tray and drizzle with more chocolate. Place an almond on top.
- Put the trays in the fridge until the chocolate is set.
Makes: 40 macaroons
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes