Looking for a corn-free cornbread? Millet, which tastes a lot like corn, is the perfect stand-in. Naturally sweetened with sweet potato, this version has the perfect crumb and is so convincingly cornbread-like that most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.
Serve alongside our Vegan Chili TVP for a perfect pairing.
Corn-Free Millet "Cornbread"
- 1 cup Anthony’s Goods Organic Hulled Millet, ground into a flour
- 4 tbsp Anthony’s Goods Buttermilk powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sweet potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Coconut oil for the pan
- Grind the millet in a coffee grinder and place in a medium bowl with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Grease a 10-inch oven-proof pan with coconut oil and place it in the oven to warm up for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the buttermilk powder in 1 cup of water and add in a food processor. Add the ½ cup sweet potatoes and the egg. Blend until smooth.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures and mix together.
- Using oven mitts, remove the pan from the oven (be careful and remember that it’s very HOT) and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden and the edges slightly browned.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.