How do freshly-baked bagels sound? If you’ve got your two thumbs up, we’d recommend rolling up your sleeves to give this recipe a try. Sure, it isn’t the quickest baking project, but it’s a fun (and rewarding) one nonetheless.
Made with brown rice, tapioca and buckwheat flours, and seasoned with more than a few shakes of “everything” seasoning, these gluten-free rings of dough will have your home smelling like a legit bagel shop. Inhale, exhale and take a great big bite.
Gluten-Free Everything Bagels
- 160 g Anthony’s Goods Brown Rice Flour
- 200 g Anthony’s Goods Tapioca Flour
- 100 g Anthony’s Goods Buckwheat Flour
- 20 g Anthony’s Goods Psyllium Husks
- 1 tbsp Anthony’s Goods Cane Sugar
- 2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
- 325 g warm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Egg wash (1 egg white beaten with 1 tbsp water)
- “Everything” seasoning: poppy seeds, white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, minced dried garlic, minced dried onion, flaked sea salt)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tbsp honey
- Warm the water in a medium bowl (105F-115F) and mix in the cane sugar. Add the yeast and let it activate for 10 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when it has foamed up.
- While you wait, whisk together the brown rice flour, tapioca flour, buckwheat flour, psyllium husks, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. When the yeast mixture is ready, pour it in. Add the olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Mix everything, transfer the dough to a clean surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Section the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each one into a ball. Using your thumb and index finger, poke a hole in the center and place the bagels on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. If the dough is cracking as you roll, wet your hands to rehydrate it.
- When all 8 bagels are shaped, cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place to rise for 1 ½ hours.
- When the rising time is almost up, bring the bagel bath to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, lower 2-3 bagels in at a time. Boil for a minute, then flip and cook the other side for a minute.
- Place all of the boiled bagels back onto the baking sheet and preheat the oven to 425F.
- Prepare your egg wash by beating an egg white with 1 tbsp water. Brush the bagels all over and sprinkle with the everything seasoning.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden-brown. Let cool before enjoying.
Makes: 8 small bagels
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 30 minutes