How fun are these patriotic cookies! Who wouldn't want to have these at their 4th of July party? Plan ahead a few days because these cookies take at least 2 days to complete.
These cookie ice-cream sandwiches are perfect for people with gluten and/or lactose intolerance or allergy. The ice cream is made from soy milk & lactose free milk & the cookies do not have any flour in them!
Independence Day Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Homemade Soy Ice Cream-
- 2 cups vanilla soy milk
- ¾ cup white sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1-2 tsp vanilla
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup lactose free milk
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups Anthony’s Goods Coconut Sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup to 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional, can use dairy free chips)
- Sprinkles, optional
- Add the soy milk and sugar to a pot and heat over the stove on medium to medium high heat.
- Continue to stir and heat the soy milk to just before a boil & add the vanilla.
- Remove the soy milk from the stove.
- In a standing mixer, add the egg yolks and beat together.
- Slowly add the warmed milk to the egg yolks (very slowly or the eggs will cook) while the mixer is turning.
- Once all the milk is combined into the egg yolks return the mixture to the pot over the stove.
- Turn the stove to medium-medium/high heat & stir the mixture.
- Continue stirring and cooking the mixture until it thickens and coats the spoon/spatula.
- Once the mixture is thickened, turn off the stove and remove the pot from the heat.
- Strain the mixture through a cheese cloth.
- Stir in the lactose free milk & allow the mixture to cool.
- After cooling for approximately 30 minutes, place the mixture into a storage container with a lid and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, add the mixture to an ice cream maker & make the ice cream (according to ice cream maker instructions).
- Once the ice cream is churned, place the ice cream in the freezer overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the cookies so they have time to cool before making the ice cream sandwiches.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the peanut butter, coconut sugar, & eggs to a bowl and mix together with an electric mixer.
- After the dough is combined, stir in the amount of chocolate chips you want in your cookies.
- Add the cookies to a baking sheet using a cookie scoop so the cookies are all uniform.
- Place about 12 cookies per baking sheet (9x13in).
- Wet your fingers and press the cookies down slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 9 minutes.
- After the cookies are done, remove them from the sheet and onto a cooling rack.
- Repeat until all the cookie dough is used.
- Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container.
- The next day, remove the ice cream from the freezer.
- Scoop ice cream onto a cookie & then place another cookie on top.
- If you want, you can put sprinkles on the sides of the ice cream sandwich for a patriotic look.
- Repeat until you use all the cookies.
- Wrap each cookie sandwich in foil & place the cookies into the freezer until ready to eat.
Total time: 2+ days
Gluten free, lactose free
Makes: approximately 10-12 cookie sandwiches