This vibrant sweet potato gnocchi is the ultimate comfort food. Soft, chewy pillows of purple dough drizzled with a garlicky, basil pesto make for an aromatic and hearty meal.
Can’t find purple sweet potatoes? Use the regular orange kind. It’ll be delicious just the same.
Purple Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Vegan Pesto Sauce
Ingredients for the gnocchi:
- 2 cups Anthony’s Goods Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 cup Anthony’s Goods Arrowroot Flour
- 2 medium purple sweet potatoes (1.5 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
Ingredients for the pesto:
- 3 tbsp Anthony’s Goods Nutritional Yeast
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 3 tbsp walnuts
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp water
- To make the gnocchi: using a fork or knife, pierce the sweet potatoes several times and microwave for 7-10 minutes, until soft enough to mash.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pesto sauce by adding all the ingredients into a food processor. If the sauce is too leafy to blend, add a few more splashes of water to bring everything together. Set aside.
- Next, combine the almond flour, arrowroot flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and mash well until no lumps remain. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add the mashed sweet potato and ¾ of the flour mixture. Beat the egg and add into the bowl. Mix well to combine. Add more of the flour mixture if the dough is too sticky. You’ll know it’s ready when you can easily roll it into a log.
- Take sections of the dough and roll into a 1-inch rope. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces and use a fork to create the characteristic gnocchi pattern.
- Fill a large pot with water and 2 tsp salt and bring it to a boil. Lower to medium heat and add the gnocchi in a little at a time. Cook each batch for 2 minutes; the gnocchi will float when it’s ready.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the gnocchi from the water. Place in a bowl and dress with the pesto sauce.
Serves: 3-4 people
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes