Chewy, cheesy and...completely vegan? Yup. These delicious rolls, inspired by Brazilian pão de queijo, get their soft, stretchy texture from tapioca starch and their cheese-like flavor from nutritional yeast. Give them a go and try not to swallow them up right out of the oven.
Vegan Brazilian "Cheese" Rolls
- 1 cup cooked Russet potato
- 2 cups Anthony’s Goods Tapioca Starch
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp Anthony’s Goods Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup hot water
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsweetened plant milk
- Cut a medium potato into large chunks and place in a pot with ½ cup water. Steam until fork-tender (about 15-20 minutes) and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the tapioca starch, garlic powder, black pepper, turmeric, salt and nutritional yeast together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, plant milk and boiling water. Add this mixture to the flour bowl and stir well to combine.
- Mash the boiled potato and measure out a cup. Add it into the flour mixture. Knead the dough with your hands, taking care to manually mash out any remaining potato lumps.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take spoonfuls of dough and roll them in the palms of your hands until smooth. Place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- These rolls do not brown, so take one out and cut into it to check doneness.
- Let cool slightly before enjoying.
Makes: 1 tray small rolls
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes