You’ve heard of French braids, Dutch braids, box braids and fishtail braids but what about whole wheat, seeded braids? Put your pleating skills to work with this elegant, heart-healthy loaf that’s heavily coated with oats and seeds galore.
Make sure to follow the steps and rest your dough long enough for the yeast to work its magic, then bake until beautifully browned!
Whole Wheat Braided Seed Loaf
Ingredients for the bread:
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup Anthony’s Goods Organic Quinoa (uncooked)
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2 tsp yeast
Ingredients for coating:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup mixed rolled oats, Anthony’s Goods Chia Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Flax Seeds, and Sunflower Seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the water, olive oil, honey, flour, grains, oats, salt, milk and yeast.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-7 minutes, until it is soft and smooth.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces and roll each into a 24 inch log.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 tbsp water. Using a pastry brush, coat each log with the egg mixture and sprinkle with the oats and seeds. Make sure to coat the logs all around. Let rest for 15 minutes on your work surface.
- Press the three logs together on one end and braid loosely. Cover the braid with plastic wrap and let it rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425F and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350F and cover the braid with foil to keep the bread from getting too dark. Continue to bake for 10-15 minutes or until the braid is beautifully browned.
Makes: 1 braided loaf
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours, 35 minutes