Have a jar of marinara sauce on hand? Spiralize some zucchini and top them with these vegan meatballs made with oats, beans, seeds and herbs.
They’re nutrient-dense, packed with flavor and perfect when slathered with sauce. Who needs pasta when you’ve got a dish this good?
Zoodles with Vegan Meatballs
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup Anthony’s Goods Sunflower Seeds
- 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup rolled oats (gluten-free if desired), processed into flour
- Flax egg (1 tbsp Anthony’s Goods Organic Flaxseed Meal mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 large jar marinara sauce
- Toast sunflower seeds in a toaster oven until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and saute the onions for a few minutes. Then add the mushrooms and minced garlic and saute a bit longer.
- Add the sauteed mushroom mixture, toasted sunflower seeds, drained kidney beans, ground oats, flax egg, tomato paste, basil leaves and spices to a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Shape the mixture into balls and place them on a lined baking sheet 1-2 inches apart. (If your mixture is too soft to shape, add more ground oats.)
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove and flip the balls to cook the other side. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Enjoy over zoodles, slathered in your favorite marinara sauce.
Serves: 3 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes